Thursday, July 15, 2010

PSY460 (Week 1 Summary)

The field of environmental psychology (EP) seems to cross most of the disciplinary boundaries in the study of science. Some of the other areas of psychology I have studied incorporate one or two areas of psychology to explain human behavior, the environmental, and the interplay thereof; but EP pulls from many different areas at once to explain the aforementioned (Arkkelin & Veitch, 1995). I mean just in the DQs this week we looked at motivational psychology, social-cognition, and behaviorism, just to name a few. In the individual paper I wrote about stimulus-response theory, arousal theory, and the different types of research employed in EP. I have always thoughts that purely biological or psychological explanations of behavior were lacking, but EP goes so far as incorporate cognition, psychology, biological, etc… into the interplay between the environment and people. I was particularly interested in Lewin’s equation on page 7 of the first chapter: B=f(P,E={B=f[P,E]…}). In my paper I tried to paraphrase the equation like this: behavior constitutes an interplay between the cyclical interaction of the independent variables of people and the environment. I have always been fascinated with quantifying behavior or cognition in mathematical equations. I understand numbers better than long-winded sentences that use words that I don’t always know. The equation seems to summarize a very complex idea that sits at the very foundations of the entire field of psychology. It is maybe the most basic of psychological questions: nature vs. nurture….

Arkkelin, D., Veitch, R. (1995). Environmental psychology: An international perspective, 1e.

New York, NY: Prentice Hall, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment